Innovation in Geography Teaching Award
Prize: $1,250 to the recipient; $1,250 donation made in the winner’s name to a recognized Canadian organization; and a trip for the recipient to the RCGS College of Fellows Annual General Meeting College of Fellows dinner to receive the award.
Criteria: The ‘Innovation in Geography Teaching’ Award shall be awarded to
- a current k-12 teacher in Canada who has made significant contributions to increasing geographic literacy (or strengthening geographic education) within his/her school
- an individual working directly with students in a school setting
- an individual teaching units of full courses that include a significant component of Canadian geography
- an individual who goes above and beyond the job description to increase geographic awareness and literacy
- The award recipient may not be currently serving as a member of the Can Geo Education executive or the RCGS Board of Governors.
- The award recipient must be a Canadian citizen OR a permanent resident of Canada.
- Prior to September 30 the nominator completes the online nomination form found here.
- Immediately following submission of the nomination form, both the nominator and nominee will be informed that their nomination has been received and will be provided with log-in information for their online account.
- Prior to September 30 the nominee is responsible for uploading a current C.V. to their online account.
- Prior to September 30 the nominator is responsible for uploading two different letters of support to the nominee’s online account.
- Nominations stand for one year only.
- Prior to October 15 all candidates’ files will be reviewed by the selection committee.
- Via teleconference, the selection committee will discuss all candidates’ files.
- A confidential vote will be taken the day after the teleconference and all nominees will be contacted with the results by e-mail no later than October 25.